McClatchy is looking for ambitious, creative real-time news reporters to deliver quick-turn stories about compelling news and cultural events from across the world.
Our real-time reporters use social media, Google Trends, other tools and curiosity to identify, report on and sometimes aggregate stories that are going to drive social and cultural conversations. Responding to big breaking news events is sometimes part of the job, but the primary role is to grow our audience by recognizing what’s trending or about to trend in a McClatchy region or across the country.
These reporters work as part of McClatchy’s national Real-Time Team, which includes editors and reporters based remotely across the country.
What you’ll bring:
Creativity, flexibility, and online smarts. The ability to monitor torrents of information, matched with discerning judgment about what to pursue. The ability to execute both quickly and well. Impeccable ethics and the willingness to be a team player are a must.
The most compelling candidates will have:
- The ability to write quickly, accurately and well
- A commitment to providing accurate information, both in fact and in context
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics
- Must be able to take constructive criticism and work closely with editors
- An understanding of how to verify the authenticity of information, sources, photos and video found through social media
- An intuitive sense of what’s important and interesting
- A good grasp of what drives interest on Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms and an understanding of the tools used to find story ideas
- A good understanding of how to write for search
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit, deep curiosity and a strong sense of urgency
- A collaborative style that works comfortably as part of a virtual team
- The ability to quickly master technology, including content management systems and storytelling tools
- A sense of humor and a willingness to be part of a close-knit team that works together as one
Education: College degree preferred but commensurate professional experience will be considered.
For further details click here.