The Longview Daily news in Southwest Washington is seeking a curious, multitasking reporter who is also a storyteller for a housing and business reporting position that may include some general assignment stories.
The position is part of an upbeat, collaborative newsroom and offers the opportunity to produce content for print and online on a wide variety of topics at a paper that values enterprise and watchdog reporting as well as narrative storytelling.
- Receives assignments and evaluates leads or tips to develop story ideas
- Gathers information for news stories through interviews, coverage of meetings and events, reading documents and other independent research
- Updates stories as news develops
- Writes a wide range of news stories for print and digital publication
- Analyzes information obtained for news sources
- Establishes and maintains relationships with trusted sources and members of the community
- Takes pictures and video of events as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Skill in active listening to understand what other people are saying, to gather accurate information, to understand points being made and asking questions as appropriate
- Skill in critical thinking by using logic and reasoning to identify pertinent information needed to develop stories and judgement to determine newsworthy stories for intended audience
- Skill in writing AP style and in attention to detail
- Skill in developing compelling ledes and clear organization of stories
- Knowledge of structure of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar
- Knowledge of communication and dissemination techniques and methods including alternative ways to inform via written, oral and visual media
- Ability to take initiative
- Ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing
- Ability to communicate information in writing and speaking so that others will understand you
- Ability to work independently and as a team; ability to work under deadlines
Education & Experience:
- Prior reporting experience is preferred, but a top-notch recent graduate could also qualify
For more information click here.