- ASSISTANT NEWS EDITOR
- ASSISTANT NEWS EDITOR with Emphasis on Radio Newscasts
ABOUT THE JOBS:
- Both assistant news editors collaborate with the News Director, Deputy News Director and Director of Digital Content to deliver on our daily content plan.
- Each Assistant Editor supervises a team of reporters and assigns, shapes and edits stories for our digital and audio platforms.
- Position 2 has responsibility for managing day-to-day production of both audio and digital news stories and timely delivery of them.
- Both will mentor reporters who have varying levels of experience and will work closely with other newsroom leaders to streamline workflow, develop newsgathering and audience strategies, and foster an ambitious, inclusive work culture.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- You’ll assign stories and work with other editors to implement a consistent, reliable multi-platform content plan.
- You’ll work with reporters and edit their stories for the website and for our public radio station, 91.3 WLVR.
- You’ll receive a handoff in the afternoon and guide the evening news plan.
- You’ll help manage the daily and weekly news workflow while planning ahead and shepherding long-term projects with the reporters you supervise.
- You’ll use sharp news judgment in directing reporters and shaping story ideas, quickly turning breaking news when needed.
- You’ll edit content to ensure accuracy and quality.
- Position 2 will be involved in audio production.
- You’ll collaborate across departments, bring ideas, help to build audience and engagement, and work toward improving our overall operation.
- You’ll cultivate a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment that supports the organization’s values and strategic plan.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATES ARE:
- Versatile, adaptable and steady under pressure.
- Able to bloom in a startup environment and not get frustrated or overwhelmed by the pace of growth.
- Great story tellers
- Versed in social media best practices and able to optimize content through social media.
- Able to cultivate a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment that supports the organization’s values and strategic plan.
- Able to work an off-shift for 4 days during the week and one day each weekend-
THE IDEAL CANDIDATES HAVE:
- A demonstrated record as a reporter with a versatile skill set and the temperament to lead.
- Experience as an editor, supervisor or manager in a newsroom environment.
- For Position 2 only: Experience producing and editing audio stories for newscasts, preferably in public radio.
- High journalistic standards and news judgment.
- A welcoming can-do attitude to working in a creative, demanding, competitive environment.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, analytic and organizational skills.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in journalism, English, communications or equivalent.
- A valid driver’s license and a good driving record (as determined by a background check.)
Salary: $55,000 to $63,000 annually to start with annual merit increase eligibility
For more information click here.