Knoxville News seeks a growth and development reporter
The Knoxville News is seeking a reporter who loves to explain to people how growth and development are the key signals of the health and future of a community.
Forget traditional business reporting — this is connecting how everything from paychecks to commutes to entertainment options to health care depends on what businesses are coming and going, and what the trends show we can expect here.
It’s also tying in how international and national events ripple through our region, and how people can expect to personally experience large-scale news events.
Knoxville and East Tennessee are home to major players in the American economy, ranging from Discovery and Regal to the Oak Ridge National Laboratories to the ever-growing Dolly Parton entertainment empire.
Our growth and development reporter will be a pro at finding out what people are talking about, and finding the sharpest angle to connect with readers. Depth, accuracy and authenticity are vital, as is an innate need to own a beat.
There is some classic urgency reporting required: fast-developing local stories are often the foundation for enterprise. But the focus is on exclusive, original reporting built through deep source-building.
Here are some nuts and bolts: It’s a Monday through Friday gig barring major breaking news; social media fluency is a core requirement; it’s expected you’re comfortable working with journalists at all levels across our local, regional and national network.
Typical Job Duties
• Creates storytelling that accurately informs, engages and enlightens our audience.
• Explores and reports on the growth and development in East Tennessee with a focus on connecting with our audience’s passions.
• Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice on growth and development with a focus on major employers.
• Demonstrates clear concise writing skills and an emphasis on “why this is important to me.”
• Understands that people love to read about where they’re from and how it’s viewed from home and from outside.
• Works with our content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what’s working and what’s not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
• Collaborates with our content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
• Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
• Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
• Performs other duties as necessary.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in experience and education.
• Record of excellence in reporting.
• Strong news judgment.
• Outstanding research skills and ability to build extensive contacts.
• Ability to create trust within your niche community.
• Knowledge of AP style.
• SEO proficiency.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Passion about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
• Expertise using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
• Knowledge of reporting ethics and sourcing.
• Ability to collaborate well with others and to work within geographically separated teams on the biggest stories.
• Must be willing to travel on short notice to cover breaking news events.
• Valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
To apply, go here.