The Kiplinger Washington Editors, Inc., seeks an experienced and energetic journalist to help deliver engaging, actionable guidance on sustainable investing to our audience: the American investor.
This is a digital-first reporting and editing position under the direction of the Senior Investing Editor. Primary duties will include writing, editing and producing investing content focused on environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors for Kiplinger.com and related properties. The Associate Investing Editor, ESG, also will work as part of a larger team of journalists serving multiple platforms, contributing occasionally to Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine and Kiplinger’s Retirement Report, as well as the Kiplinger podcast, Your Money’s Worth.
The ideal candidate will be ready on Day One to help investors better understand the world of socially responsible investing (SRI), ESG and impact investing. That includes educating investors about the basics of these investment strategies; identifying opportunities that fall under different values-oriented umbrellas; and covering the evolutions in the space, from individual companies’ initiatives to wholesale changes in ESG trends.
Candidates should have experience in reporting on and/or analyzing ESG/SRI from both a sustainable and financial perspective; a knack for writing; a sharp eye for editing; demonstrate strong organizational skills; thrive in fast-paced environments; and be able to meet daily deadlines.
At Kiplinger, we start with the expectation that our readers will act on our advice, and benefit from doing so.
- Report on the field of socially responsible investing, including stocks, ETFs, mutual funds, and other publicly traded and private investment vehicles. This will be performed across several formats, including articles, slide shows, exclusive tools, podcast appearances and more.
- Work with the Senior Investing Editor to explore new ways to serve our readers, including expanding our coverage universe, entering new forms of media and launching dedicated products.
- Collaborate with other Kiplinger investing personnel to create and hone story ideas to be executed across multiple platforms.
- Assist the Senior Investing Editor in other projects and tasks as necessary.
Required Experience and Skill Sets
- Minimum three (3) years of experience reporting on or providing analysis and/or research on socially responsible investments.
- Broad understanding of how the stock market and other investing works and of how to evaluate various investment vehicles.
- Ability to write with clarity about complex investment matters, translate investment jargon into English and to distill complicated issues to their essence.
Desired Experience and Skill Sets
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in a fast-paced editorial environment, ideally working across both print and digital properties.
- Demonstrated proficiency within at least one online content management system (CMS). Ex: WordPress, Drupal, Joomla.
- Familiarity with search engine optimization (SEO) best practices and analytics-driven content strategy.
- Passion for identifying/learning about new investment trends, themes, products and tools.
- Experience building and refining methodologies – including a blend of quantitative and qualitative analysis – to compare and rank assets
- Comfortable learning and using unique writing styles that can vary with publication or audience.
- Experience hosting or producing audio/visual media such as podcasts, videos, and webinars.
- Understanding and embrace of social media and other evolving digital platforms.
- Ability to think qualitatively and strategically.
- Passionate commitment to quality, timeliness and accuracy.