The KBI is seeking an experienced reporter/editor whose primary focus will be on covering government and community news in Key Biscayne, Miami, and nearby communities. Topics include local government accountability, politics, and environmental challenges on a barrier island that is one of the region’s top tourist areas. Additional topics would include crime, education, and some business news reporting.
Reporting to the Editor-in-Chief, this reporter will be a newsroom leader and craft distinctive coverage while looking for long-term story trends and enterprise. This position may be called upon to create eye-catching social promotion, find and verify important user-generated content and use digital tools to present stories in unique ways.
This employee must have the ability and willingness to work as coverage demands.
The successful candidate will:
- be experienced with general government coverage, including knowledge of legislative, budget, and procurement processes. Know how to initiate and follow-up on public records requests.
- be experienced with the crime and legal reporting
- work with the KBI editorial team to create spot and enterprise coverage that breaks news, has community impact and is exclusive to the KBI and its partners.
- have strong communication skills and basic multimedia skills (photo, audio, and video).
- have a great news sense and journalistic curiosity, with the ability to communicate and drive stories that people will want to share, like and talk about on social media and other platforms.
- have a clear speaking voice in English suitable for on-air audio and video appearances.
Qualifications: This position requires an excellent editorial eye and fast, accurate work skills. Typically a candidate will have at least five (5) years of full-time experience at a daily newspaper, broadcast station, online or digital news outlet, or a news agency. This is not an entry-level position.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Authorization to work in the U.S. is mandatory.
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English. Professional competency in Spanish is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects across formats and deliver success on a complex, challenging story lines.
Annual salary range is $55,000 – $75,000 depending on experience and qualifications.
Send an email with a resume to email@example.com.
For more information click here.