The Kansas City Star is seeking a high-energy, experienced editor to lead its politics and government accountability coverage as we head into the important 2024 election year.
We’re looking for a strategic-minded leader with proven experience with watchdog reporting, both quick-turn and deeper dives, who will help ensure that our coverage of local government and politicians is first and best. This editor will handle everything from breaking news to investigations.
The ideal candidate will excel under deadline pressure, take a hands-on approach to editing and coaching, and be comfortable using analytics to better understand how to serve readers. We want candidates who embrace a spirit of experimentation to improve our journalism and expand our reach.
This editor will oversee a talented team of reporters based in Kansas City, Topeka, Jefferson City and Washington, D.C. This team has proven time and again an unrivaled ability to deliver sharp angles that produce both impact and strong readership. We’re looking for a leader who will help them build on this success.
- Sharing a vision and setting priorities that maximize our journalism’s impact and interest.
- Editing journalism, from breaking news to enterprise, for all platforms.
- Coaching reporters on a wide range of skills, from real-time updates to source development to investigative reporting.
- Creating a political calendar and long-range story budget.
- Setting audience and development goals for reporters and strategizing on creative approaches to meet them.
- Using metrics and analytics to increase digital audience and engagement and grow digital subscriptions.
What you’ll bring:
- A track record of experimenting and iterating, quickly and often.
- Strong word editing and organizational skills.
- Familiarity with digital planning and packaging.
- Excellent news judgment and journalism ethics.
- Strong collaborative instincts and a love of teamwork.
- Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced and constantly evolving.
And if you are a great candidate for this position but don’t check all of these boxes, we’d encourage you to apply – and use a cover letter to highlight other skills you bring to the table.
For further details click here.