We are seeking an experienced, versatile reporter with a strong interest in health and health policy to produce stories for both California and national audiences, working as part of our California Healthline team. We want someone who can quickly turn around news and trend stories that are timely and have edge. We’d like you to be able to tackle accountability pieces and quick investigations, too.
We want you to help infuse our coverage with bullet-proof reporting and thoughtful writing on the big health care issues affecting people in California and the country and also find the hidden stories that aren’t yet being written. Your job is to make sense of policymaking, breaking news and politics — and turn that knowledge into relatable stories about people for audiences not enmeshed in health care policy.
We’d prefer a person based in Northern California, but we are also willing to consider candidates who would need to relocate within or to California if they already have sources and knowledge of issues in the region.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 5+ years reporting, some health or health policy experience preferred, though experience covering politics, business, or technology is also a plus.
- Preference for a Spanish speaker or someone who can speak a second language common in California.
- Maintain high-quality work while juggling a mix of quick-turns and enterprise assignments.
- Ability to translate health policy into people-centered storytelling and tackle accountability pieces and investigations.
- Generate story ideas, turn assignments around in a timely fashion, and hand in clean copy.
- Collaborate throughout the newsroom and with partner news organizations.
- Authorization to work in the United States.
The annual salary range for this position is between $70,000 and $95,000. Offers are based on the candidate’s years of experience
For more details click here.