Insider is looking for a weekend and evenings news editor who is quick, passionate about breaking news, and has a knack for telling stories in a relatable and compelling way.
This is a full-time position based in Los Angeles, but Insider is open to applicants from anywhere on the West Coast or Hawaii, with a schedule of Saturday-Wednesday, 4pm to midnight Pacific Time.
This editor will work alongside the senior news editor to help manage a small team of reporters and fellows who help cover weekend shifts. These reporters will file breaking news, as well as news analysis and features.
The editor should be comfortable regularly handling this mixture of story edits and juggling multiple responsibilities at one time.
The breaking news editor may also have some responsibility curating the homepage on occasion, and paying attention to what readers are loving.
This is a dual writer-editor role, so the editor will also write stories as the news cycle demands.
The ideal candidate will:
- Show excellent news judgment
- Have the ability to write and edit quickly and accurately
- Assign and edit a mix of articles, including short news posts, visual features, and long-form reported pieces (they can also write and report themselves)
- Have a few years of experience covering news for a digital publication
- Be very organized and able to effectively communicate across teams
- Have familiarity with social media distribution