Inside Higher Ed, the leading national daily publication covering higher education, seeks an experienced, ambitious journalist to join its editorial management team as a senior editor overseeing several reporters.
Inside Higher Ed engages in authoritative journalism that mixes news, enterprise and analysis, and its editors work closely with a team of reporters (with various experience and skills levels ranging from early career to seasoned professionals) to conceive, craft and perfect their stories (or at least make them really damned good).
Our editors must become national experts on higher education, but we don’t expect them to walk in the door that way. They must, however, have an insatiable curiosity, an ability to connect dots, and a deep interest in the important issues facing the landscape we cover, including access, affordability and equity; enrollment and financial pressures challenging the overwhelming majority of colleges and universities; intensifying politicization and battles over campus culture and free speech; efforts to maintain (and threaten) educational quality; and the changing nature and future of the faculty.
The job of the senior editor will include:
- Working with fellow editors and reporters to set daily and long-term editorial agendas for Inside Higher Ed.
- Supporting and, when needed, guiding a small group of reporters through the story development, reporting, writing and editing process.
- Contributing as needed (or as desired by the successful candidate) with reporting and writing.
- Representing Inside Higher Ed in speaking engagements and at other events.\
- Working with colleagues to develop new ways to produce and deliver high-quality content.
- Using and interpreting traffic and readership data to drive decisions about how best to serve our audience.
The successful candidates should have:
- At least 5-7 years of professional journalism experience, including some time as an editor.
- Excellent editing ability and demonstrated skill in working under deadline pressure.
For more details click here.