Inside Business seeks a reporter
Inside Business, The Hampton Roads Business Journal, seeks a business reporter with a love of uncovering news. The right person will be able to write clearly without errors and work to develop trust and rapport with sources within the business community.
The right candidate will have strong word and editing skills and familiarity with social media. He or she will be able to help with various aspects of production including writing cutlines, editing stories, rewriting press releases, taking photos, proofing pages, posting articles to the website and entering data.
This writer will have strong reporting skills including researching the Internet and knowing how to find and read public records. This reporter will have a fascination with business news, enjoy working hard and know how to have fun too.
- Writes compellingly, precisely and accurately.
- Able to generate 4 to 6 stories a week.
- Meets deadlines.
- Produces a regular mix of stories, including news and features, and is able to work on several stories at once.
- Writes in-depth explanatory stories that may involve complex concepts and reporting.
- Able to develop a beat with regular sources and go out regularly into the business community to attend events and meet businesspeople.
- Coordination of photos, illustrations and graphics for stories.
- Collaborates with other staff writers, photographer, editors and designers on stories and looks for additional ways of storytelling through video, interactive tools and alternate story forms.
- Generates story ideas on and off beat.
- Able to edit stories and proof pages when necessary.
- Travels for coverage as required.
- Demonstrated ability to write with precision and clarity and present complicated information in a way that engages readers. (Applicant will be asked to provide writing samples and might be asked to write a story.)
- Track record of accuracy.
- Copy editing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Track record of working effectively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Experience working under deadline pressure.
To apply, go here.