The Illinois Answers Project, a nonprofit award-winning newsroom, is seeking two highly motivated, collaborative journalists to join our new Illinois state embed team.
Funded by a three-year grant from the Driehaus Foundation, this new statewide investigative and solutions reporting initiative seeks to collaborate with local newsrooms in cities outside of Chicago to report on local issues with statewide impact.
These reporters will work in collaboration with two to three Illinois news outlets to develop enterprise and investigative stories with a focus on solutions journalism.
Reporting to: State & Solutions Editor
As an embed reporter for Illinois Answers, successful candidates will:
- Be comfortable juggling short- and medium-term investigative and enterprise stories that set the coverage agenda across Illinois.
- Produce a steady stream of watchdog, accountability and solutions journalism.
- Establish sources in local communities and be willing to travel around the state.
- Bring a digital and social media mindset to the job and know how to engage readers.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or other relevant discipline
- At least three years of reporting experience with demonstrated impact preferred
- Excellent communication and time-management skills
- Demonstrated experience with public records and data
- A collaborative mindset and an eagerness to partner both internally and externally on stories
- Ability to produce accurate and detailed content in a competitive environment
- Strong grasp of key issues affecting county and state government
- Self-starter capable of working at a fast pace, independently and as part of a team
Salary range for a fully qualified candidate is $60,000 to $65,000.
Submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will begin reviewing submissions immediately and we will consider applicants while the posting remains on our website.
For further information click here.