The Landing is expanding its newsroom team to include an immigration reporter responsible for telling important, timely and engaging stories about some of the most critical issues facing the Houston region. Immigration deeply impacts life here from our schools to our workplaces to our neighborhoods. Houston is one of the most diverse places in the country. Nearly one-fourth of the people who live in the region are foreign-born.
What you’ll do:
- You will cover important and interesting news that emerges from one of the most critical beats in Texas. Immigration touches nearly every facet of life in the Houston region. These stories will range from compelling breaking news that needs to be written quickly to enterprise or feature stories that might take a week or more of reporting.
- You will produce accountability and investigative journalism that exposes when people are harmed by local, state or federal immigration policies or when government agencies are failing to do their jobs.
- You will write about legislative, enforcement and regulatory developments related to immigration.
- You will focus on how immigrants are adjusting to life in Houston and contributing to what makes our community a dynamic, fascinating and thriving place.
- You will analyze data, dig for open records and produce stories that help explain with clarity this complicated and nuanced beat.
- Your coverage area will include the eight-county Houston region. You will also travel to the border to report on urgent stories that are of significant interest to our local communities.
- You will work with members of the newsroom to adeptly tell these stories in a variety of ways — traditional articles, videos, photo slideshows, explainers and online interactives.
- You will align your beat coverage around one of our key pillars: producing stories that offer solutions and improve civic engagement.
- You will ensure your reporting prioritizes community information needs and includes diverse perspectives.
Who you are:
- You have five or more years of journalism experience, with a track record of doing enterprise and accountability reporting.
- You speak fluent Spanish.
- You can write with clarity, beauty and creativity.
- You have experience using multiple digital platforms to tell a story.
- You have a flexible attitude that allows you to thrive at a digital startup and think creatively.
- You are a curious, organized person who is always on the lookout for good story ideas and who knows how to stay on task to make those stories a reality.
- You are committed to our mission of finding a new path for quality journalism.
- You have a collaborative spirit, strong communication skills and a willingness to listen to diverse perspectives.
- You are comfortable moderating panels related to your beat.
- You are committed to accuracy and meeting deadlines.
Compensation commensurate with experience, minimum of $78,000
For more information click here.