At Houston Landing, we are expanding our Newsroom team to include a City Hall and Neighborhoods Reporter responsible for telling important, timely and engaging stories about Houston’s city government and how its decisions affect everyday Houstonians. This position is full time and will be based in Houston.
What you’ll do:
- You’ll cover important and interesting news that emerges from one of the most critical and competitive beats in Texas. These stories will range from compelling breaking news that needs to be written quickly to enterprise or feature stories that might take a week or more of reporting.
- You’ll work with members of the newsroom to adeptly tell these stories in a variety of ways — traditional articles, videos, photo slideshows and online interactives. You and your supervisors will decide which format fits each story best.
- You’ll routinely attend city council meetings, town halls and other types of events to find sources and story ideas. You’ll visit neighborhoods and find stories about people who are affected by the decisions made in these meetings.
- You will align your beat coverage around one of our key pillars: producing stories that offer solutions and improve civic engagement.
- You will ensure your reporting prioritizes community information needs and includes diverse perspectives.
- You’ll work with your editor and the audience team to promote a social media strategy and determine how best to reach our key audiences.
Who you are:
- You have five or more years of journalism experience with a track record of doing enterprise and accountability reporting.
- You have experience using multiple digital platforms to tell a story.
- You have a flexible attitude that allows you to thrive at a digital startup and think creatively.
- You are a curious, organized person who is always on the lookout for good story ideas and who knows how to stay on task to make those stories a reality.
- You are committed to our mission of finding a new path for quality journalism.
- You have a collaborative spirit, strong communication skills and a willingness to listen to diverse perspectives.
- You’re committed to accuracy and meeting deadlines.
Salary: $80,000 to $85,000
For more details click here.