Houston Business Journal seeks residential real estate reporter
The Houston Business Journal, a thriving and growing news organization, is looking for a full-time residential real estate and education reporter.
As our residential real estate and education reporter, you’ll cover one of the most dynamic and fastest-growing sectors in Houston. You’ll report on housing trends; what’s happening with master-planned communities, condos, apartments and high-rise luxury living; and the money behind all of it.
From the education standpoint, you’ll follow how school ratings affect housing, trends in higher ed and the growing continuing education sector. We want a reporter who can break news before it happens and tell readers what it means. We’re looking for strong traditional journalism skills – source building, sharp interviewing techniques, strong analytical and investigative reporting skills, clear writing, document use – with online and social media know-how. Whatever the platform, we strive to produce content – original and curated – that is accompanied by perspective and context.
- Contribute in-depth, timely and relevant news stories daily to be used across platforms
- Own the beat audience.
- Own the beat conversation.
- Build source network relentlessly.
- Attend both Business Journal and industry-related events.
- Reporters will be expected to facilitate/moderate at Business Journal events and must be comfortable in taking a leading role in the community.
- Meet or exceed goals relating to audience-engagement such as page views, unique users, repeat visits, direct traffic, social media followings and growth, paid print subscribership, email newsletter circulation growth, event attendance, and other such measures.
- Take on any other assignment made by manager(s).
- Minimum of 3 years of journalism experience with a proven ability in reporting and writing; experience and knowledge of local business community preferred
- Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors
- Ability to break news and identify newsworthy events and sources
- Strong writing, analytical and investigative interviewing skills
- Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person and online and to develop sources and an audience
- Ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
- Experience with using social media to source and promote content a plus
Bachelors degree or equivalent experience.
Email resume, cover letter and clips or links to:
Houston Business Journal