Houston Biz Journal seeks residential real estate/education reporter
The Houston Business Journal, a thriving and growing news organization, is looking for a full-time residential real estate and education reporter.
As our residential real estate and education reporter, you’ll cover one of the most dynamic and fastest growing industries in Houston. You’ll report on housing trends; what’s happening with master-planned communities, condos, apartments and high-rise luxury living; and the money behind it all. From the education standpoint, you’ll follow how school ratings affect housing, trends in higher ed and the growing continuing education sector.
We want a reporter who can break news before it happens and tell readers what it means. We’re looking for strong traditional journalism skills – source building, sharp interviewing techniques, strong analytical and investigative reporting skills, clear writing, document use – with online and social media know-how. Whatever the platform, we strive to produce content – original and curated – that is accompanied by perspective and context.
- Contribute in-depth, timely and relevant news stories daily to be used across platforms.
- Own the beat audience.
- Own the beat conversation.
- Build source network relentlessly.
- Attend both Business Journal and industry-related events, which involves the occasional after-hours event.
- Meet or exceed goals related to audience engagement, such as page views, unique users, repeat visits, direct traffic and social media followings and growth.
- Take on any other assignment made by manager(s).
- Minimum of 3 years of journalism experience with a proven ability in reporting and writing; knowledge of local business community a plus.
- Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors.
- Ability to break news and identify newsworthy events and sources.
- Strong writing, analytical and investigative interviewing skills.
- Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person and online and to develop sources and an audience.
- Ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Experience with using social media to source and promote content a plus.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
To apply, send a resume, cover letter and links to clips to:
Giselle Greenwood, Editor-in-Chief, at firstname.lastname@example.org