Houston Biz Journal seeks oil and gas reporter
The Houston Business Journal, a thriving and growing news organization, is looking for a full-time oil and gas reporter.
We want a reporter who can break news before it happens and tell readers what it means on all of our platforms — web, social media, video and print. Our reporters must own and expand their audiences by every measure.
We’re looking for strong traditional journalism skills – source building, sharp interviewing techniques, strong analytical and investigative reporting skills, clear writing, document use – with online and social media know-how. Whatever the platform, we strive to produce content – original and curated – that is accompanied by perspective and context.
- Own the beat conversation.
- Build source network relentlessly.
- Attend both Business Journal and industry-related events. When relevant to their beats, reporters must work in partnership with the publisher, editor in chief and event director to select speakers and topics that will grow event attendance and audience. Reporters will be expected to facilitate/moderate at Business Journal events and must be comfortable in taking a leading role in the community.
- Work collaboratively with editors, photographers, designers and others to maximize the impact and accessibility of stories reported.
- Contribute four to six online posts – curated and original – per day.
- Contribute print stories, including cover stories, on a regular basis.
- Develop and curate a reporter page/section spread in the print paper each week; this spread is comprised of information, highlights and data gathered and reported on throughout the week, then packaged and freshened for the print product.
- Meet or exceed goals relating to audience-engagement such as page views, unique users, repeat visits, direct traffic, social media followings and growth, paid print subscribership, email newsletter circulation growth, event attendance, and other such measures.
- Take on any other assignment made by manager(s).
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with all colleagues and professionally with sources.
Giselle Greenwood, Managing Editor
firstname.lastname@example.org and 713-688-8811
5444 Westheimer Road, Suite 1700, Houston, TX 77056