Guardian seeks a senior tech reporter in San Fran
Guardian News & Media is the publisher of the US news website www.theguardian.com/us, the Guardian and Observer newspapers and www.theguardian.com website in the UK. We’re a highly regarded global news brand, owned by the Scott Trust — an arrangement that guarantees its independent voice in perpetuity.
Headquartered in New York City, Guardian US, is an entirely digital operation that seeks to engage US readers by combining the Guardian’s internationalist, online journalism with US voices and expertise.
The Guardian is looking for a Senior Technology Reporter, West Coast to join the team.
Purpose of role
To break technology news and write features for the Guardian’s digital platforms.
Key responsibilities & accountabilities
- Break our own news and cover breaking news on the biggest technology issues, companies and people on the west coast with flair, originality, accuracy and authority
- Write accessible, engaging stories that illuminate technology for a non-technical audience, but that are rich and authoritative enough that they also appeal to a tech audience
- Cover issues that matter locally and that are relevant internationally
- Ditch the jargon and craft compelling, human-centric stories that explore the impact of technology on individuals, covering both the positive and negative economic and social implications
- Explore the intersection of technology and other key areas such as health, transport, politics, the environment, education and culture
- Manage time effectively to balance breaking news and colorful, in-depth features with other formats such as special projects, live-blogging, comment and analysis, video and podcasts as required
- Find compelling ways to cover major and emerging themes around technology, generating exclusives on major stories that keep the Guardian ahead of competitors
- Explore emerging platforms and tools that enable digital storytelling and distribution of stories
- Communicate well, working closely with the rest of our small west coast team, helping to build our audience and our profile
- Contributing ideas to news planning and building your own areas of interest within the Guardian’s editorial strategy for Technology
- Developing a working approach that underscores the Guardian’s values of social justice, diversity and equality
- Act as a mentor to junior reporters, helping to cultivate and support talent in our newsrooms
Key contacts and relationships (internal and external)
West coast editor, Editor, Guardian US, Deputy Editor and News Desk in New York. West coast reporting team.
Knowledge & experience
- Proven ability to generate exclusive and must-read coverage at a national level
- Experience and contacts on the west coast or demonstrable ability to get rapidly up to speed in the area
- Enthusiasm for collaborating on video, audio, interactive and new forms of content for the web and mobile
Skills & aptitudes
- Ability to deliver well-written stories for web and print on deadline, from exclusives to major unfolding stories as well as fast takes on breaking news
- Ability to develop expertise in a specialist area with enthusiasm and authority but without losing sight of the big picture
- Instincts in digital journalism, from the social web to mobile
- Enthusiasm for working under pressure and with multiple priorities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as organizational skills critical for working both with a small team and with teams in offices in other time zones
All candidates interested in applying should upload a resume and cover letter as one document. All candidates must have the right to work and live in the United States and be located, or prepared to relocate to the San Francisco Bay Area.
To apply, go here.