We are seeking a Staff Writer to contribute to our enterprise coverage. We’re looking for someone with stellar news judgment, a passion for storytelling, a drive to develop their craft, and a deep commitment to provocative journalism.
The reporter will pitch, report, and write stories on topics at the intersection of the environment, climate, policy, and social justice. The right person for this job will be interested in approaching this beat from a narrative lens, producing rich stories that demonstrate how climate change is reshaping communities, economies, and ecosystems. We’re also looking for someone who is always mindful of equity issues that are often at the root of human-based climate stories. A reporter who can reflect on trends in climate change policies, economics, culture, and science would thrive on this beat.
What does this role look like in practice? You’ll generally write 4 to 5 stories per month — ranging from roughly 600 words to a few thousand — and land a handful of enterprise projects per year. Grist is a small team, so you may also be asked to contribute to newsletters, collaborate on larger projects, appear in the occasional video, and represent Grist at conferences and workshops.
Grist is based in Seattle, but the job doesn’t have to be. We have staff around the country. This position is represented by Pacific Northwest Newspaper Guild Local 37082 (“Grist NewsGuild”).
- Conceive of, report, write, and produce stories of varying lengths on topics at the intersection of the environment, climate, science, economics, policy, culture, and social justice
- Translate important trends and news in climate change into gripping prose that focuses on climate policy’s impact on everyday lives
- Contribute to Grist’s newsletters, special packages, and other projects, as requested
- Help mentor Grist fellows; be excited about sharing your methods and talents with your colleagues and learning about theirs
- Other duties as assigned
- At least 3 years of reporting experience, preferably focused on climate, energy, and the environment
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Professional reporting experience, knowledge, and interest in climate
- A track record of covering stories of national importance and impact
- Comfort with magazine-style journalism
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple priorities and deadlines
- Comfort with technology, social media, and digital tools for journalism
- Proficiency with desktop writing tools and web technologies for news gathering and publishing
- Superior organizational skills and obsessive attention to details
- Experience finding sharp, provocative angles on the news of the day
- Ability to work independently, demonstrate good personal judgment, and exercise a commitment to ethical conduct toward sources, story subjects, and readers
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and writing skills
- Demonstrated poise, tact, diplomacy, and the ability to interact with individuals at all levels of the organization
And it sure would be nice if you also had:
- Excitement about exploring innovative and creative ways to tell stories in a fast-moving environment, specifically for mobile devices
- Comfort with data sets or experience with data reporting
- A passion for helping Grist attract new, more diverse audiences for environmental stories
- A strong voice and no qualms about using it, but an aversion to preaching to the choir
- The ability to identify stories that will resonate online
Salary: The annual base pay for this position is between $72,500 – $95,000 depending on experience.
For more details click here.