The Greeley (Colo.) Tribune seeks a business reporter to cover a wide variety of industries including oil and gas, banking, manufacturing, real estate development, overall economic trends, University of Northern Colorado’s Monfort College of Business and small business features.
Duties include writing daily stories, and contributing cover stories to the Sunday business section, as well as regular in-depth enterprise pieces. This beat requires a self-starter, who is equally comfortable doing in-person or phone interviews, someone who is not afraid to ask tough questions and who will persevere in the face of adversity.
Our application process is two parts. Please start here and complete the questionnaire. When complete, return to this page and click apply to complete your application.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Research, write and report compelling journalism that continuously grows an audience by informing and engaging readers.
- Faithfully execute the publisher/general manager and managing editor’s vision of the newspaper and content plan.
- Cover all breaking business news with urgency and accuracy with the goal of always being first to report important developing news on our digital platforms. Research, report and write in-depth business news and business feature stories for daily and Sunday business sections.
- Write and file 8 well-written, bylined stories and/or sidebars per average week along with photographs or videos to illustrate.
- Cultivate relationship with business leaders, community members and leaders by attending community functions such as Chamber of Commerce events and seminars, as well as real estate and financial outlook forums.
- Post error-free basic stories to our digital platforms, including sending push alerts and pushing content to social media, twitter, and Instagram.
- Verify statements and facts by following social media, making phone calls to sources, tracking documents and demanding public records.
- Understand and embrace the concepts of readability in crafting business stories and developing sidebars as well as providing materials for informational graphics.
- Adhere to the newsroom workflow to meet all deadlines.
- Review competitor publications, websites, blogs and social media to research beats and develop story ideas for print, social media, and news websites.
- Attend staff meetings and communicates routinely with editors, designers, and peers within the organization.
- Edit and upload photos and videos to system, creating cutlines for each.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- College degree and/or equivalent experience
- Excellent listening, speaking, and written communication skills.
- Strong computer/digital skills with understanding of various platforms utilized in production of stories and photographs
- Working knowledge of Associated Press style and an understanding of the daily newspaper environment.
- Strong interest in business news and the community.