Good Times seeks an editor to lead its Santa Cruz-based award-winning editorial team and edit Good Times’ print and digital products.
Successful candidate will be responsible for driving the entire editorial experience, from creating and assigning stories to managing workflows with our design team and executive editor. You will work out of the Santa Cruz office and be available to attend community events and interact with the public on a regular basis.
As editor of four-time California Journalism Awards General Excellence winner, you will be expected to be an innovator as well as a leader in the community and in the industry.
- Develop stories and write headlines
- Identify subjects for upcoming stories
- Recruit and supervise staff and freelance writers
- Coordinate with designers, photographers, writers and artists
- Evaluate and approve proofs prepared by design team prior to publication
- Meet deadlines and budgets
- Proofread and edit stories based on company style, editorial policy and specifications.
- Upload content to digital media channels
- Maintain editorial calendar
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or English, or comparable experience
- Minimum of three years’ related experience
- Working familiarity with WordPress and Google Workspace applications
- Knowledge of SEO and social media best practices
- Adherence to journalism best practices and ethics
- Supervisory skills and ability to give constructive feedback
- Great attention to detail and strong instincts for producing great stories
In this position you will be responsible for reviewing publications during their production cycles for conformity with company style guidelines and good journalistic practices, including making copy edits and improving headlines and visual presentation as needed; for handling administrative and personnel matters related to editorial employees, payment to freelancers and securing of rights to published material; for ensuring that stories are planned for subsequent weeks and that deadlines are met; for implementing technology, process improvements and reinvention activities; for tracking digital and social media metrics; and for encouraging best practices to produce an alternative weekly that is compelling, relevant, ethical, locally focused and supported by its readership.
From time to time, other duties may be required.
For more details click here.