GeekWire seeks health technology reporter
GeekWire, one of the top independent technology media companies in the United States, is seeking a dedicated beat reporter to lead and expand its coverage of digital health technology, health care innovations, life sciences, biotechnology and other topics related to the business, technology and science of human health.
Based in the growing health tech hub of Seattle, Wash., a hotbed for the cloud, artificial intelligence and innovative cancer therapies, this new full-time reporting position requires an ability to develop a wide variety of sources and regularly break news of national significance for readers in the Pacific Northwest and around the globe.
Core coverage areas include:
- New health initiatives from tech giants such as Microsoft, Amazon and Google;
- The growing use of AI, robotics, and cloud technologies in health;
- In-depth coverage of Pacific Northwest health tech startups;
- Scientific breakthroughs and promising research;
- Biotechnology and the business of health.
The journalist in this role will also plan, manage and host a day-long Health Tech track at the annual GeekWire Summit in Seattle, one of the country’s leading technology conferences — identifying and inviting speakers, moderating sessions, and working closely with the GeekWire events team to develop valuable and insightful content.
As a day-to-day beat reporter, this journalist will need a strong understanding of and passion for learning about health and technology. The role requires an ability to write compelling stories and headlines in terms understandable and illuminating to a general tech and business audience, but also credible and insightful for health industry insiders.
The role includes covering industry and community events, making public records requests, and interviewing top CEOs and other corporate and institutional leaders. The reporter in this role will need to be adept at finding and recognizing great stories, writing sharp and incisive headlines, and compiling information from disparate sources.
- Find, identify, report and write multiple stories a day, ranging from quick news items and breaking news to in-depth profiles and enterprise pieces. Draft headlines, and shoot or find photos and video to accompany stories.
- Regularly and constructively interact with readers and sources throughout the day, leveraging a strong presence on Twitter, Facebook and other social media as a tool for reporting, beat development and community building.
- Work proactively with GeekWire’s events team to plan and manage the content and speakers for the Health Tech track at the annual GeekWire Summit, as well as other events and/or meetups in the future.
- Regularly represent GeekWire at community and industry events, with a passion for health technology and a thirst for new information and connections.
- Minimum of three years of beat reporting and writing experience at an online or print publication, with daily or more frequent deadlines.
- A background in or demonstrated aptitude for understanding and explaining healthcare and/or health technology.
- A deep interest in and curiosity about all aspects of health.
- An aptitude for and experience with using social media to find stories and connect with new audiences.
- Ability to speak clearly, confidently and extemporaneously about stories and topics related to the beat for video segments, podcasts and events.
- Ability to understand and analyze financial materials such as corporate income statements and other key business and non-profit documents.
- Eagerness to put in the work required to cultivate sources, establish strong relationships and become one of the top beat reporters in the field.
Education: College degree or equivalent professional and/or educational experience.
Nature of Role: This is full-time, salaried position, including health benefits and a 401(k) plan, with a flexible schedule, sometimes starting early in the morning on a breaking story, other times working late into the evening or night at an event.
To apply, please submit resume and 2 – 3 published clips to firstname.lastname@example.org.