The Columbus Dispatch/ dispatch.com , located in the fastest-growing city in the Midwest and part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an aggressive, digitally savvy journalist to be our next trending/breaking news reporter, identifying, verifying and curating news of what Ohioans are talking about on the internet.
This job requires an understanding of social media platforms, audience metrics and SEO techniques; quick, tight, lively writing; and a competitive mindset determined to see one’s work at the top of our pageview charts each day.
- This reporter will chase news, business, and entertainment stories, as well as features about topics already trending online or based on online conversations
- It’s a high-volume beat, responsible for two posts most weekdays
- Successful trending stories have run the gamut from breaking crime news to “5 things to know” explainer stories about trending topics
- This reporter is also expected to have the range to handle breaking news coverage and quick-turn enterprise
- This position will work afternoons and evenings
- Research, report and produce accurate, compelling content that informs and engages readers
- Use sites such as Google Trends and platforms such as CrowdTangle and Dataminr to mine story ideas from social media and news organizations
- Seek out compelling photos, graphics and video and secure permission to use them
- Produce content in alternative forms (listicles, Q&As, narratives, photo galleries, video — that are tailored to the right platform (mobile, desktop, social media) to best reach the target audience
- Use real-time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous experience as a reporter or content producer are required
- At least two years of professional journalism experience
- High-level writing, communication, and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well on deadline
- Ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready
- Comfort with using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram to enhance reporting and promote stories
- Understanding of reporting ethics and sourcing
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law
For more details click here.