The Des Moines Register/desmoinesregister.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an aggressive, digitally savvy journalist to be our next trending/general assignment reporter, identifying, verifying and curating news of what Iowans are talking about on the internet.
This job requires an understanding of social media platforms, audience metrics and SEO techniques; quick, tight, lively writing; and a competitive mindset determined to see one’s work at the top our pageview charts each day.
This reporter will chase news, sports, politics, business and entertainment stories, as well as features, about topics already trending online or based on online conversations. It’s a high-volume beat, responsible for two to three short posts most weekdays. But doing the job well requires much more than curation.
This reporter is expected to pitch a handful of high-audience-potential ideas each morning, add smart context, seek out appropriate multimedia and do original reporting to add value to a reader’s experience. The job also requires writing inviting headlines and social language to lure the biggest possible audience.
This reporter is also expected to have the range to handle breaking news coverage and quick-turn enterprise.
Previous experience as a reporter or content producer and video editing skills are required.
- Research, report and produce accurate, compelling content that informs and engages readers.
- Use sites such as Google Trends and platforms such as Crowdtangle and Dataminr to mine story ideas from social media and news organizations.
- Seek out compelling photos, graphics and video and secure permission to use them.
- Produce content in alternative forms (listicles, Q&As, narratives, photo galleries, video — that are tailored to the right platform (mobile, desktop, social media) to best reach the target audience.
- Use real-time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest.
- Bachelor’s or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least two year of professional journalism experience.
- High-level writing, communication and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well on deadline.
- Ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready.
- Ability to shoot and edit photos and video and file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Comfort with using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understanding of reporting ethics and sourcing.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done.
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
For further details click here.