The Stevens Point Journal/stevenspointjournal.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin, is seeking a talented journalist to join our team covering local government and school news in Central Wisconsin.
- This reporter must have a passion for community journalism and finding the stories that most impact readers in Stevens Point, Marshfield, Wausau and Wisconsin Rapids.
- They must be able to tell complicated stories in a way that is easy for readers to understand and engage with.
- This reporter will help to dissect problems that detract from the quality of life and celebrate things that make it better.
- Through a combination of quick hits, explanatory stories and deep dives, this reporter will challenge the status quo, highlight solutions, and introduce readers to the region’s extraordinary people.
While the focus of this position is on local journalism and local readers, the Stevens Point Journal is part of a broader group of 11 newsrooms across Wisconsin, including the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Green Bay Press-Gazette and Post-Crescent in Appleton.
- Dig through public records, develop sources, attend meetings, interview community members.
- Tell stories that inform and engage our readers.
- Connect with the community through storytelling and outreach.
- Help us identify underserved audiences and grow our reach by telling those stories.
- Work with editors to evaluate what’s working and what’s not and develop plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate with others to provide the appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics).
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A drive to beat the competition for our readers’ time and attention.
- Self-motivated and self-directed.
- Knows social media and how to engage readerson digital platforms.
- Has basic photo and video skills.
- Communicates effectively; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Understands media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your updated current resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines your interest in the position and how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work.
- Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format.
For more information click here.