The Akron Beacon Journal, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a reporter to add a dynamic and aggressive breaking news skill set to cover the Akron metro area and northeast Ohio.
We’re seeking someone who can quickly cover breaking news involving public safety, business, politics, community events and other unexpected news. Live blogging of key events will be expected.
- At times, this reporter will be tasked with reporting and writing deeper enterprise stories on the topics important to subscribers
- This job requires an understanding of social media, Google trends, audience metrics and SEO techniques; quick, tight, lively writing; and a competitive mindset determined to see one’s work at the top of our page view charts each day
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e
- photos, videos and graphics)
- Captures basic photos and video as needed
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions
- Performs other duties as necessary
- Explores and reports on the widest range of news and trends, connecting with our audience’s passion
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission
- Works weekends and nights as needed
- Bachelor’s in communications, journalism or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 1-2 years of reporting experience or strong internship experience
- Strong command of AP grammar and style
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and “publication ready.”
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories
- Must be willing to travel regionally on short notice to cover breaking news events
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
For more details click here.