The Public Opinion/thepublicopinion.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a reporter to produce enterprise and watchdog work focusing on issues and trends affecting Watertown and the surrounding region.
This is a broad-based news beat, encompassing city and county government, schools, businesses and breaking news.
The reporter will monitor the workings of government but will focus on developing impactful enterprise relevant to readers lives.
This reporter is expected to consistently break exclusive news and to post stories, photos and video quickly and accurately across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media. Source development is critical to the beat. This reporter will cultivate relationships with local officials, business leaders and community stakeholders to break stories.
- The reporter will monitor the workings of government but will focus on developing impactful enterprise relevant to readers lives
- This reporter is expected to consistently break exclusive news and to post stories, photos and video quickly and accurately across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media
- Source development is critical to the beat
- Use metrics and analytics to determine how to best reach and grow the audience
- Increase digital audience and engagement and grow digital subscriptions
- Be courageous about experimentation
- Be a team player who likes to collaborate with coworkers
- Apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals
- Bachelor’s or masters in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Two years of experience in professional journalism writing and reporting or substantial internship or fellowship experience
- Understanding of metrics, social media and SEO
- Solid news judgment
- Self-motivation and self-direction
- Top-notch planning, organizational and time management skills
- Ability to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct
- This role requires a valid drivers license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law
When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what youve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume one to two pages
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job
- Links to 6 online samples of your work
- Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
For further information click here.