The Patriot Ledger, patriotledger.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an aggressive, digitally savvy journalist to be our next breaking/trending and dining reporter, identifying, verifying and curating news of what the South Shore is talking about (and eating).
- This reporter is also expected to have the range to handle breaking news coverage, quick-turn enterprise and features
- The beat will usually start at 6 a.m. Monday to Friday to feed online audiences when they’re most active
- Research, report and produce accurate, compelling content that informs and engages readers
- Be a curious, assertive, and self-starting journalist who jumps to report on breaking news and trending topics with urgency
- Capitalize on live, breaking and trending moments by creating quick-turn-around content for social media and other digital platforms
- Use sites such as Google Trends, DataMiner and other search tools to mine story ideas from social media and news organizations
- Be proficient on the latest social media tools and trends, specifically on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- Seek out compelling photos, graphics and video and secure permission to use them
- Produce content in alternative forms (listicles, Q&As, narratives, photo galleries, video — that are tailored to the right platform (mobile, desktop, social media) to best reach the target audience
- Optimize, aggregate and package content for digital publication
- Enhance content with video, galleries, SEO meta-data, hyperlinks and images
- Use real-time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest
- Work collaboratively as part of a team with other reporters and editors
- Occasionally, fill in on other beats to assist in coverage of breaking news and other events
- Previous experience as a reporter is required as are a driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Bachelor’s or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least three years of professional journalism experience
- High-level writing, communication and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well on deadline
- Ability to produce content that is engaging, clean, accurate and publication ready
- Comfort with using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories
- Understanding of reporting ethics and sourcing
When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
For more information click here.