The Wall Street Journal is seeking a reporter on its Style News desk to break news, report trend and analysis stories and write memorable and shareable features that both inform and entertain.
Style News is a new desk that will blend deep reporting, intelligent wit and good taste to create compulsively readable spot stories, analysis and features on the subjects of style, entertainment, celebrity, society, lifestyle and the arts. Whether it’s Jeff Bezos’s disco-themed New Year’s Eve ensemble or the “book stylists” of White Lotus, stories from this desk will have a lively lens on culture, style and fashion — with a fast-paced, robustly reported execution.
Style News is seeking high-metabolism reporters from a background in lifestyle, fashion/style, entertainment, or celebrity journalism with a zeal for the intelligent and polished way into the biggest Style news stories of the moment.
- Report, write and fact check an average of seven stories each month on Style News topics.
- Burst with highly shareable, witty, adrenalized story ideas with real and clearly understood news value.
- Embody the Style News mission to simultaneously inform and entertain.
- Develop or bring close relationships with style/entertainment industry figures and sources to garner scoops, identify trends, and develop features and enterprise.
- Have a proven history of finding unexpected takes on faster-moving lifestyle news events; of finding the Style News lens on core news moments; and of using data to find great stories hiding in plain sight.
- Come with a sharp sense of how to connect with and grow digital audiences. Be comfortable with audience data, knowing how to combine metrics with your great taste and imaginative ideas.
- Ensure the voice, tone and standards of the Wall Street Journal are consistently met; that stories are accurate, fair, objective and of impeccable quality.
- Unputdownable clips and exceptional writing and reporting skills.
- 4 to 6 years experience covering a relevant beat, including scoops and reported feature stories.
- A sense of humor, including a proven history of finding clever, intelligent ways into bigger stories.
- A demonstrated meticulous attention to getting facts and details exactly right.
- Visual thinking and a vested interest in how your stories will look and present on social and all digital facets.
- A collaborative, team-player attitude, an upbeat outlook and an entrepreneurial spirit as we grow and evolve desk needs.
You will report to the Deputy Editor of Style News. While you will likely start the job working remotely, you will eventually be based in our New York office.
To apply, please submit a cover letter describing your experience and interest in this job, a detailed resume and five clips with a sentence or two as to what the stories show about your capabilities.
To apply, go here.