The Wall Street Journal is looking for a Head of Visual Storytelling to lead a team of visual journalists in the newsroom and elevate the storytelling capabilities of The Wall Street Journal across our digital platforms.
You will be responsible for conceptualizing, developing and overseeing the execution of visual stories and interactive graphics to enhance our journalism and engage our readers.
Your role will involve collaborating closely with existing coverage areas to present data in the most effective manner and tell visual stories in enterprising ways. The team will be responsible for everything from maps and charts in our everyday reporting, to managing our most ambitious interactive, immersive stories. You will also take the lead on setting a strategic vision for visual storytelling in the newsroom, outlining when and how to employ visual tools in the most effective way for our audiences.
- Develop and drive the data- and visual-storytelling strategy, aligning it with the overall editorial vision of The Wall Street Journal.
- Effectively lead a team of graphics reporters, developers, designers, and UX specialists. Provide mentorship, guidance, and support to foster a collaborative and innovative work environment within the team and across the newsroom.
- Work closely with senior editors to shape data-driven stories for the best end result.
- Oversee the end-to-end process of creating data-driven graphics and interactive visualizations, from ideation to design and implementation. Ensure projects are completed on time and meet the highest journalistic standards.
- Work with editors, reporters, and audience strategists to identify opportunities for impactful visual storytelling. Collaborate with different departments to integrate data-driven narratives into multimedia presentations and digital features.
- Create and maintain a visual vocabulary guide for the newsroom
- Stay abreast of emerging trends, tools, and technologies in data visualization and digital storytelling. Implement innovative approaches and techniques to enhance the Journal’s storytelling capabilities.
- Uphold the highest standards of accuracy, clarity, and integrity in all visual content produced by the team.
- At least ten years of experience in data journalism, visual reporting, graphic design, or a related field at a news media business.
- Proven track record of managing and leading a team of data scientists, graphics reporters and/or developers.
- Strong understanding of journalistic ethics, standards and practices.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Creative mindset with the ability to transform complex data into compelling and accessible visual narratives.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
The position is based in New York and will report to the Associate Editor.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter and five examples of your work.
The Journal’s reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
To apply, go here.