The Wall Street Journal seeks an experienced journalist to be Deputy World Coverage Chief. The Deputy World Coverage Chief works under the World Coverage Chief to help shape the Journal’s reporting of geopolitics, international economics, conflicts and wars, and significant natural disasters. You will help to manage a significant team of reporters and editors across the globe.
To succeed in this role you will need significant experience leading large teams through big news moments. You will be expected to carry on the Journal’s tradition of excellence and to think creatively and innovatively about how we cover stories for a digital audience.
- Come up with distinctive, exclusive story ideas, commissioning, editing and working with reporters across the entire world network to produce world-class journalism
- Work with the World Coverage Chief and the Deputy World Coverage Chiefs in London and Singapore to coordinate 24-hour coverage and management of the entire global network
- Work with the Editor-in-Chief, senior editors, coverage and bureau chiefs base in New York on global stories or stories that require a global or international perspective
- Manage security risk, people and budget management when on-duty in New York
- Coordinate with security, the foreign editor and the managing editor to manage risk assessments for high and extreme risk assignments
- Be responsible for managing and editing the Americas and the New York-based China team
- Manage enterprise level stories for World
- Be a part of the digital hub in the New York newsroom
- A strong understanding of audience data and how to commission and edit stories for a digital audience
- 10 plus years of experience as a senior editor for a national newspaper
- In depth knowledge of world affairs and how they relate to an American audience
The position will be based in New York and report to the World Coverage Chief.
The Journal’s reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
To apply, please submit your resume, a cover letter, explaining how you would approach the job.
To apply, go here.