Washington Biz Journal seeks special projects editor
The Washington Business Journal is looking for a Special Projects Editor to join our editing team. This is the perfect job for an editor who wants to have ownership over several special publications and coordinate with various departments to plan and execute on exemplary editorial events covering important local business topics.
The Special Projects Editor is a critical player in planning and producing our special awards publications, and creating a content plan that aligns with our editorial calendar. The ideal candidate is adept at planning and executing special sections and publications, assigning and editing news and trend stories and other content, and recruiting and managing a stable of strong freelancers. The Special Projects Editor is also responsible to find ways to package print content for a digital audience.
The Special Projects Editor also works with other departments to ensure the excellence and integrity of awards publications, events, and other cross-departmental activities.
The Special Projects Editor reports to the Editor in Chief.
• Conceive, assign, edit and produce special publications and special sections, and manage editorial portions of the awards process, including outreach to judges and awardees and oversight of the selection process of honorees.
• Work closely with the staff photographer and design team to bring more creativity and diversity to the special publications.
• Conceive, assign, edit and produce business executive profiles and other regular features.
• Work with the researcher to develop data-driven list packages.
• Source and coordinate with freelancers to produce Business Journal stories and other content.
• Curate, format and repurpose content for digital.
• Edit and proof stories and other content for clarity, context, accuracy, spelling, grammar and consistency.
• Oversee the publication’s social media handles for the awards programs.
• As needed, edit news items throughout the day for the Business Journal’s digital platforms.
• Assist other departments in planning and executing on editorial events, including panel discussions, fireside chats and keynote speakers on topics important to the local business community. Help in the identification and outreach to speakers.
• Regularly participate in, help plan and attend Business Journal-sponsored events.
• Solid editor and news judgment
• Able to get and stay organized
• Able to manage several projects at once
• Creative planner
• Stickler for detail and accuracy
• Familiarity with AP Style
• Able and driven to collaborate
• Social media acumen required
• Ability to collaborate a must, including with sales and events teams
• Minimum of 3-4 years reporting and/or editing experience in print or online
• Experience managing editorial projects
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
To apply: https://bit.ly/3Fg1OOA