The Messenger is building out a team of the fastest, most accurate business journalists for its breaking news team.
You will be a speed demon, a news hound, an budding earnings expert covering live news as it breaks. This team will work as a cohesive unit, filing fast, accurate headlines and copy on market-moving news – often building stories out a sentence or two at a time. You will be the first word on some of the biggest stories of the day, will help decide which stories are big enough to curate, which earnings deserve a story and will coordinate across teams as stories are handed off to beat reporters for further development.
You will master the art of combing through company press releases, SEC filings and court documents to see beyond the spin and find the news. You will ideally have at least a year of experience at a real-time news outlet. Candidates with less experience but strong writing tests will be considered.
- Monitoring breaking news tools and wires for the biggest stories of the day
- Writing accurate headlines and copy in a high-volume, fast-paced environment
- Writing headlines with an eye toward SEO
- Cutting through the spin in company press releases
- Finding news in SEC filings and court documents
- Working closely across teams on high-profile news as it breaks
- Collaborate with other departments, such as data, photo and social media to ensure that all content is visually appealing, user-friendly, and optimized for SEO
- A minimum of a year of experience covering news at a real-time national news outlet
- Proven track record of filing or editing business news in a fast-paced, real-time news environment
- A clear understanding of AP style and grammar
- A collaborative demeanor with experience working and coordinating with multiple teams and across multiple platforms, like social media or digital video
- The ability to deliver accurate news in a high-volume, deadline-oriented environment
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including a morning shift, evening shift or weekend shift as needed
- Must be highly motivated, extremely organized, detail-oriented, and possess outstanding communication and coordination skills
- The job will be based in New York, NY with a hybrid in-office schedule
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Experience at a major online news site, daily financial publication or a large daily newspaper
- Passionate about digital storytelling and creating the best reader experience online
- Ongoing knowledge of and interest in the business world and financial news
- Solid understanding of web standards and SEO
**Salary Range: $65,000K-$95,000K (contingent upon experience)**
To apply, go here.