The Markup is seeking an innovative, entrepreneurial, collaborative Editor-in-Chief to direct its journalism. With its focus on tech accountability, The Markup uses impact as its primary metric of success. The ideal candidate will share this outlook and have a track record of leading journalism that has made a difference. The Editor-in-Chief will report to the CEO.
- Lead The Markup’s unique investigative and explanatory journalism, cultivating deep collaboration between engineers, data journalists, and investigative reporters, as well as across the organization
- Guide editorial vision, including hiring, firing, standards, and building world-class journalistic teams to serve The Markup’s mission
- Hold the newsroom to the highest ethical standards and creating a culture of cooperation and inclusiveness
- Set and maintain newsroom budgets
- Understand, champion, and help shape initiatives to ensure The Markup maximizes its reach and impact, and remains financially healthy
- Help build and maintain strategic relationships with partners
- 10-plus years editing experience, including investigative work
- Editorial fearlessness and unimpeachable news judgment
- Ideally, experience in coverage of technology; at minimum, strong interest in the topic area
- Experience working with a diverse roster of staff and freelance contributors
- Experience with visual storytelling and interest in editorial design and photography
- An entrepreneurial mindset and enthusiasm for collaborating with business colleagues
- Enthusiasm for shepherding complex, data-driven stories
- Exceptional leadership skills and emotional intelligence
- Grit, wit, kindness, and a strong work ethic are vital at The Markup. We strongly encourage applicants with diverse experiences and backgrounds to apply.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary of $300,000 plus generous benefits, including medical, vision, and dental insurance, 20 days of paid time off each year, paid family leave including five months of paid parental leave, and 401(k) matching. We also want to encourage your leadership in our field, so we will support attending industry conferences and professional training.
We are open to a remote option for strong candidates, so long as you are willing and able to travel as required.
To apply, go here.