Semafor is a global news platform for an increasingly complex world in which consumers are overwhelmed by too many news sources and unsure what to trust. We are building Semafor from the ground up to enable world-class journalists to deliver reporting and insights with rigor in journalistic forms that ensure a new level of transparency. Our editors will distill the most important stories from all over in formats that uncover the forces shaping the stories, explain the interests behind polarizing narratives, and replenish the stock of shared facts. As a global platform, Semafor recognizes that smart people can disagree and that informed readers need to understand alternative points of view from competing centers of power and culture in a multi-polar world. Our ambitions are large, but we’re going to start small. We intend to launch in just two markets globally, learn from our experiences, and grow deliberately. Want to join us? Read on.
About The Role
As Business and Technology Editor for a startup newsroom, you’ll play a central role in building and editing two small teams composed of some of the most thoughtful and hard-driving reporters in the world, who would be continuously contributing both to regular publications and breaking news. We’re looking for someone who understands both business and technology and the overlap between the two fields, knows the key players, and has the experience and confidence to guide, support, and manage experienced journalists who know their beats. You’ll be a crucial member of our growing team, collaborating closely with the editor-in-chief and executive editor, and will shape some of our most important products. This is a role that will grow and evolve with our expanding newsroom, and we’re looking for someone with deep experience in business or technology journalism; the proven capacity to deliver huge, splashy stories; and excitement to be part of something new and ambitious.
- Manage small, growing teams of journalists across multiple locations.
- Lead the production of regular — between daily and weekly — publications.
- Handle big scoops with speed and care.
- Collaborate with other elements of the team, including video, design, and events, to produce breakout products.
- Dive in and get your hands dirty with occasional reporting and writing as needed.
Things We’re Looking For
- 7 or more years of relevant experience in editing, reporting, or both;
- Proven ability to deliver big stories that break through the crowded media cycle
- Strong writing and editing skills that produce stylish and concise prose.
- A comprehensive sense of the competition, and of what the next beat of a big story can be.
- The confidence to work closely with tough and experienced journalists
- Experience in scrappy and/or dynamic environments and willingness to jump in wherever needed to help the team succeed
- A contagious passion for news in all its forms
To apply, go here.