The San Francisco Standard has a full-time opening for a talented and experienced technology reporter to join our team in San Francisco. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of the tech industry and a passion for writing about the intersection of technology and life, culture and the economy in the Bay Area, with a particular emphasis on the city of San Francisco.
The tech reporter will be responsible for writing stories about the latest trends and developments in the tech industry, from AI to autonomous vehicles, with an emphasis on the impact of technology on our lives. This journalist will also pen stories about what it’s like to work in tech — the perks, the grind, the cultural quirks, issues of discrimination and bias, and more. The reporter should have a zest for cultivating sources and building relationships with people in the industry, from frontline workers to CEOs, as well as academics and regulators who touch the space. This job will require both breaking news quick turns and longer, in-depth enterprise reporting, and collaborating with reporters who cover other beats, including city government.
This is a full-time, in-office position. The ideal candidate will have at least 3 to 5 years of experience reporting on technology, and strong writing skills.
- Write compelling stories about the latest trends and developments in the tech industry
- Report on the impact of technology on our lives and the local economy
- Break news on important tech-related topics, particularly as they relate to life in San Francisco
- Develop sources and build relationships with key players in the tech community
- Stay up-to-date on the latest news and trends in the tech industry
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or a related field or commensurate experience
- At least 3 years of experience reporting on technology or related topics
- Strong writing skills and command of AP Style
- Basic photography skills
- Excellent research and reporting skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Data visualization and data analysis skills a plus
This job may require night and/or weekend work.
We are an in-office company and the role requires physical presence in the Bay Area. We offer very competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
The pay range for this role is $75,000 to $140,000. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t fit the preferred qualifications of the job.
To apply, go here.