Reuters is seeking an experienced journalist to drive coverage of energy markets in the United States, the world’s top oil consumer and one of the biggest producers. This is an exciting time to take the helm in one of the most important regions for global oil coverage on a team with a hard-earned reputation as the go-to news service for the sector. The global energy supply crisis has hit the pockets of U.S. consumers in the world’s largest economy and caused political damage to the administration of President Joe Biden. The country is an important exporter of crude and fuel and also a big importer. Domestic supplies are tighter than they have been for a generation and the global industry is in tumult as it deals with the fallout from war in Ukraine and the accelerating energy transition.
This is an opportunity for an experienced journalist to show their strength as a lead writer setting the agenda for coverage and producing stories that cater to the needs of both screen clients and a wider audience hungry to read about the broad implications of the news we break. The successful candidate would be comfortable leading reporters on the nuts and bolts of cash market price discovery as well as on breaking the biggest stories that impact those markets. You should be as adept at publishing market moving headlines as writing investigative stories, in-depth analysis and exploring new ways to deliver high-value, specialized content to our clients.
The U.S. Energy Markets Editor needs to be hands-on in framing, pitching and editing a range of stories from reporters in a specialist team in New York and Houston as well as a wider group of reporters across the Americas. The successful candidate will have a proven track record driving and publishing breaking news, writing and editing the biggest news stories in the sector, and managing a team of journalists. Exceptional candidates without management experience but a clear idea of how they would grow into the role are also encouraged to apply.
As our U.S. Energy Markets Editor, you will:
- Set the agenda for U.S. energy markets coverage for the regional team, in line with global editorial goals
- Drive a team of experienced correspondents to report and write first-class cash market and futures market reports, to break exclusive news and publish the most insightful stories on the markets and industries they cover
- Ensure depth and quality in everything we publish: from market reports through to investigative work
- Edit to the highest level before sending stories to the publishing desk
- Spearhead initiatives to develop the best sources across the industry to ensure we maintain our position as a leading provider of energy news
- Adapt quickly to changes in markets and policy to ensure we deliver outstanding coverage on the most important regional energy stories
- Drive development and career progression across the team
About the Role
To be our U.S. Energy Markets Editor you will likely have:
- At least five years of experience editing and reporting on a real-time financial news file
- At least two years of experience managing a team of journalists
- At least two years of experience reporting on physical oil or commodity markets
- A proven track record of framing, pitching and editing both breaking news and initiative stories, identifying trends and delivering agenda-setting big-picture stories ahead of the competition
To apply, go here.