The Post and Courier, South Carolina’s oldest daily newspaper and premier news source, is seeking an innovative reporter to join our prolific business team based in Charleston.
The emphasis for this role will be on growing our audience reach through in-depth business coverage, which would include a focus on real estate, home sales and other general interest areas in one of the country’s fastest-growing areas.
This reporter will work closely with an experienced team of journalists to break business-related stories, which range from what’s new and coming but also to what’s old in some of the most-historic homes in the city selling for multi-million dollars, to helping with coverage related to tourism, tech and other industries.
Along with reporting breaking news and enterprise pieces, this journalist will also seek to tell stories in other ways, including short-form, vertical video. As readers increasingly consume video for news and information, our reporters aim to expand our digital presence with mobile-first storytelling.
This position reports to Business editor who oversees coverage for the team. To be successful, the reporter will need the background and skills to not break news but to stay on top of it and own it as well as to cultivate sources that allow the reporter to dominate business coverage in a competitive market.
If you are hired, you will join an ambitious, Pulitzer Prize-winning culture where talented journalists have the opportunity to pursue the best work of their careers, limited only by their ambition and determination.
The Post and Courier is privately held and is investing in its journalism. We began expanding across the state in 2020, seeking to fill a void in news deserts or areas where local news coverage had withered. We now operate Post and Courier newsrooms in multiple South Carolina cities – from Charleston, to Columbia, Greenville/Spartanburg, Beaufort County/Hilton Head, Florence and Myrtle Beach.
We are a passionate, dedicated, digital-driven news organization and seek someone who shares that journalistic passion and commitment to excellence.
- Be a key contributor to our coverage of business and industry in the Charleston area but also, as needed, across South Carolina.
- Use a data-driven approach to providing content that grows our audience in our market.
- Plan and conceptualize business story ideas while collaborating with other reporters.
- Embrace a spirit of nimble experimentation to test nontraditional story formats.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field of study.
- At least 2 years of business reporting experience.
- Writing and editing skills.
- Excellent news judgment.
- A background that demonstrates dedication to high-impact journalism.
- Video editing and production skills.
- Working knowledge of SEO.
- Along with their resume, applicants should attach a cover letter and 5 of their best article clips.
- The Post and Courier is an equal opportunity employer.