The Washington bureau of the New York Times is looking for a tax policy correspondent who can dominate the tax beat by covering developments both in the United States and abroad.
This reporter would need to demonstrate a deep understanding of taxes and have a capacity to clearly explain how taxes work, the different ways that individuals and businesses are taxed, income vs capital gains, the tax burden on different levels of income and wealth, as well as proposals to change the tax code or simplify it.
The beat would include a mix of breaking news, enterprise, explanatory and investigative stories, including scoops of ideas, as well as profiles. This reporter would be responsible for covering new tax legislation or tax changes that are being seriously discussed on the Hill or within the White House, along with lobbying strategies being employed by companies, governments and the tax industry.
Our ideal candidate would look for trends and developments that tell our audience something about how tax policy influences corporate and individual decision-making. That includes covering the impact of the Biden administration’s myriad tax credits and tax incentives, including how they are influencing behavior and impacting federal revenues.
Candidates should be excited about juggling breaking news and live coverage and have a knack for bringing arcane and complex tax topics to life with color, anecdotes and captivating prose
- Strong knowledge of tax law and tax policy
- Deep sourcing within the tax industry and, preferably, with tax writing committees on Capitol Hill
- 5+ years of experience as a beat reporter who consistently delivers major enterprise pieces, including coverage that demonstrates explanatory and investigative skill.
- A willingness to collaborate and the ability to partner with colleagues across The New York Times newsroom.
- Digital-media savvy.
- A dedication to The Times and its journalistic mission.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
This position is represented by the NewsGuild of NY.
The annual base pay salary for this role is between $120,126.82 and $155,000.00.
To apply, go here.