Morningstar seeks an enterprising financial journalist for the position of markets reporter on our New York-based markets coverage team, with a primary focus on individual stocks and the economy. This unique role combines traditional markets reporting with data journalism, building stories with the help of Morningstar’s unparalleled reservoir of information on individual investments and the markets. Morningstar’s core mission is to help investors meet their financial goals, and we approach covering the markets through that lens. That means putting the day-to-day noise of the markets in context while informing investors about the news and trends that are critical to making smart decisions.
- We are looking for a reporter who can combine a lively, engaging style with a proven ability to make complex subjects accessible to a wide audience, from advisors and sophisticated DIY investors to readers whose investing experience may only be a target-date fund in their 401(k).
- This role will have a particular emphasis on turning data into stories about both stocks and the economy.
- The successful candidate will be able to tap into Morningstar’s research and data to explain–and put into context—moves in individual stocks. The resulting stories will differentiate our coverage from that of other news outlets.
- We’re looking for a reporter with a strong interest in–or even better, experience with–Python-based coding and data analysis. The job will also include building and publishing automated pieces that instantly transform Morningstar data into articles of interest to our readers.
- Produce three to four articles per week, ranging from short takes to longer deep dives.
- Monitor the stock market for key names making big moves.
- Provide readers with timely, informative articles on stock moves.
- Report on key economic indicators and trends.
- Contribute items to Morningstar.com newsletters.
- Harness Morningstar data and Jupyter Notebooks to create compelling analyses and highlight trends.
- Create and produce articles using automated text on both stocks and the economy.
- Build narratives around key investing stock trends using Morningstar data and other sources.
- Turn data into compelling charts
- A passion for the markets.
- 1+ years actively covering stocks or other markets.
- Proven ability to write on deadline and for same-day turnaround.
- Strong news judgement for identifying subjects for articles.
- Demonstrated comfort with Excel and learning new databases and other tools.
- Experience with Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Figma is a plus.
- Experience coding in Python is a strong plus.
- Curious, creative thinker with a collaborative approach to producing commentary and storytelling.
- A bachelor’s degree is required.
To apply, go here.