The Rochester (Minnesota) Post Bulletin seeks an assertive, curious, creative and talented candidate to fill a reporting position on our business team.
The position is focused on the restaurant, retail and real estate sectors. This job demands a strong storyteller who is able to find and tell stories within the topic area – an area that attracts high readership. A degree in journalism or a related field is required. Some professional experience is preferred, but not required. Besides reporting, this position requires a modest level of photo/video skill and could grow to include work on other platforms, such as podcasting.
This is a good position for a young journalist with ambition! The Post Bulletin has the largest newsroom (21 people) in southeastern Minnesota and is the news leader in this region. We have a commitment to serving our readers with high-quality, local content. Send questions to Jeff Pieters, editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 507-285-7748.
A reporter is responsible for producing engaging, relevant stories and/ or visuals in a variety of formats on all relevant publishing platforms, with an emphasis on digital content and publishing.
- Research and report on assigned topics and issues.
- Determine story focus and write/ produce stories according to editorial style and format standards for all relevant publishing platforms.
- Drive audience loyalty and digital growth through engaging and timely content.
- Develop unique story ideas and content around key categories that drive digital memberships and reader engagement.
- Respond with urgency to breaking news, which includes writing stories and producing visuals on deadline with a digital audience in mind.
- Collaborate with digital teams and make use of available tools and technology to gain insight into story metrics, determine new ways to create and present content online.
- Embrace a creative, collaborative approach with other team members and with other FCC departments and locations.
- Contribute to the overall advancement of digital initiatives; share and promote digital content through various social media channels.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Writing experience for a newspaper, website, magazine or specialty publication is required.
- Experience using digital analytics and social media tools is preferred.
- Basic knowledge of video and photo editing is preferred.
- Some experience in proofreading or editing is preferred; AP Style knowledge is a plus.
- Journalism or communications degree is helpful, though equivalent experience will be considered.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITY:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential.
- A strong sense of purpose and urgency for the news.
- Must be able to multitask and juggle many different projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately using a Web-based content management system.
- Must be creative, hardworking and a self-starter.
To apply, go here.