Inside INdiana Business, a division of IBJ Media, is looking for a web and radio reporter to cover statewide business news and help coordinate several new regional business newsletters. This is a new position, and the duties can be tailored somewhat to meet the experience and skills of the successful candidate. But the ability to write strong web stories and voice interesting radio stories is essential. We’re also looking for someone who is curious, thoughtful, dependable and persistent.
Inside INdiana Business is an award-winning multi-media news site that distributes business news through a website, two daily email newsletters, two daily radio reports and a weekly TV show. The TV show, hosted by veteran business journalist Gerry Dick, and radio reports are aired throughout the state, including in most of the state’s media markets.
The position will report to Inside INdiana Business Managing Editor Alex Brown and will be part of a larger 20-person newsroom that also produces the Indianapolis Business Journal. IBJ Media is a locally owned news organization that focuses on coverage of and for the business community, but we interpret business broadly. In fact, a key part of our focus is covering the intersection of business and government.
- Writing and reporting for Inside INdiana Business’s twice-daily newsletters with a focus on generating statewide lead stories.
- This will occasionally require travel throughout the state to cover stories as assigned and create business contacts for future stories.
- Writing, recording and editing morning radio reports for Inside INdiana Business’s public radio affiliates, as well as the IIB Radio on Demand podcast.
- Coordinating freelance work and other stories for several planned regional newsletters, which will be aimed at Indiana markets.
- Ability to work independently and generate story ideas
- Curiosity about business issues and stories
- Fast, thorough writing
Preferred skills, but not all required
- Experience with WordPress
- Ability to use Adobe Audition and Photoshop
- Familiarity with Microsoft Outlook, Teams and Word
Inside INdiana Business offers a chance to work in an affordable capital city with a metro area population of more than 2 million people but in a smaller newsroom with plenty of opportunity to make a big impact. In Indianapolis, you will find professional sports, world class museums and performance venues, and neighborhoods filled with great restaurants, bike trails and parks.
Our offices are located on the city’s historic Monument Circle—the literal and figurative heart of Indianapolis, just blocks from stadiums, the Statehouse, the Indianapolis City Market and much more. Our commutes are short, our public transportation is expanding and our city and suburbs are thriving.
If you’re a reporter who can write and record interesting stories about business, government and the economy, email a resume, cover letter and samples of web and radio stories to Editor Lesley Weidenbener at firstname.lastname@example.org and Managing Editor Alex Brown at email@example.com.