Green Market Report seeks a managing editor
The Green Market Report, which covers the cannabis industry, is seeking a managing editor.
This is an ideal job for an experienced, digitally savvy journalist who has strong news judgment, first-read and line editing prowess, and a knack for displaying editorial content for digital consumption with strong images and data points.
This is a chance to be part of a growing digital news and community-building platform for a niche, financial audience.
A successful candidate will thrive while working, hands-on, to grow a successful digital publication, from the launch of a new, national newsletter to the development and growth of its website.
The candidate will also work closely with breaking news reporter, legal and regulation reporter and social media editor to explore new ways to expand our audience and engage our readers.
This role requires a unique skill set that spans reporting, editing and hands-on digital display. The ideal candidate is passionate about digital and web technologies, especially email newsletters, and always seeking ways to increase their digital IQ. They are also able to develop and teach their skills to others on the team through clear communication and translating emerging technology ideas into easily understood information. This role offers a variety of challenges from reporting and analysis, so versatility, punctuality, communication, and the ability to multi-task are a must.
- Proven skills in developing and managing digital content, websites, email newsletters, and landing pages using today’s latest technology, in high-volume environments
- Monitor social media for breaking news; posting and promoting content on the website and through various digital channels including daily newsletters
- Repurpose and perform additional reporting to adapt content from other Crain brands to service this niche audience.
- Tackle basic reporting to keep content fresh (Q&As with key leaders, etc.)
- Manage and edit web content that meets site’s high standards of usability, editorial quality and effectiveness.
- Create or manage creation of charts, graphics, and illustrations to bring content to life.
- Use analysis and insight to drive optimization of pages, actively seeking to improve value per page.
- Write display or promotional text, such as headlines, decks and captions following editorial team guidelines.
- Coordinate the use of digital and multi-media assets, such as photos, graphics, quizzes, polls, video, and audio, and upload these assets to the website using the site’s style and optimization guidelines.
- Be part of creating the usage rules and style guidelines for this new platform.
- Maintain and conduct quality assurance checks on digital products according to brand guidelines.
- Responsible for maintenance of links and adherence to the information architecture through site’s content management system.
- Adjust and experiment with headlines to make sure stories have maximum impact and extend their shelf life using analytics and current best practices in SEO
- Minimum three years reporting experience, preferably business and/or financial topics.
- Experience posting and managing digital content – newsletters and websites.
- Ability to create simple charts, graphs or other visual aids to amplify a story.
- Excellent editing ability
- SEO experience
- Ability to think strategically, using metrics on audience engagement to guide decision-making.
- Solid understanding of content management systems.
- Experience using WordPress/CMS, Sailthru, Metrics for News, Adobe Analytics, SmartSheets and Excel
- Ability to create simple charts and graphs.
- Podcast and/or online video production experience
The newly acquired product – Green Market Report—is a digitally-focused national news and information brand focused on the business of cannabis. Before the formal relaunch of a website, Crain will launch a high-quality, nationally sponsored daily email newsletter to target audiences with the goal of building a list of quality registered users. Conversion to paid audience members will begin late in 2023.
To apply, go here.