Crain’s Communication’s news and information cannabis industry site, Green Market Report, is seeking a General Assignment Reporter to join its growing newsroom.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced journalist who is familiar with the cannabis industry and the legal and regulatory issues surrounding it. The editors are looking for a self-starter who can cultivate sources, develop their own story ideas and write authoritatively on a wide range of subjects.
Green Market Report reporters generate daily digital stories as well as print stories based on the news of the day and broader trends, finding fresh angles to stories that the competition doesn’t. We value premium content – breaking news, enterprise, and analysis that readers can’t find anywhere else. Experience covering business and/or regulation is valued.
What we’re looking for:
• The most important ability in this role is to be able to report and write general-assignment breaking news stories on tight deadlines, filing clean, accurate copy that can be published online quickly with minimal editing.
• A willingness to jump in and help with whatever is needed on a given day or in a given week. That could involve helping another reporter or editor with research, fact-checking, etc. Story assignments also can vary widely for this position, touching several topics in the newsroom.
• The ability to quickly establish a rapport with people and the research skills to seek expert sources.
• An ability to anticipate and seek out art (photos or graphics) needed for stories. If you can take your own photos on occasion, great.
• A familiarity with Green Market Report, and an understanding of who our readers are and what our mission is in terms of providing useful information to cannabis-industry executives and investors.
• An ability to see a story, or an aspect of a story, that we may have missed and pitch/suggest it to the editors.
• A desire to find and fill a niche in our newsroom, identifying a beat and making it your own.
• At least three years of experience working in a newsroom environment.
• Evidence of strong reporting, interviewing, and editing skills. Must include link or clip of cannabis industry related story published with a credible news source.
• Ability to meet tight deadlines.
• A keen eye for detail and an ability to keep organized. Juggling several stories at once won’t faze you.
• Must be able to work 9-5 Monday-Friday, with the flexibility to occasionally cover early-morning or evening events.
To apply, go here.