Fortune seeks a US news editor
Fortune is hiring a creative, enterprising journalist to join our News team. We’re looking for an editor who wants to help shape the vision and voice of this new section dedicated to reporting on the big business, econ and tech topics of the day. The ideal candidate is interested in working closely with young reporters to tell engaging and intelligent stories on the major events of the day and distill complex topics into must-read articles.
- Assign and edit one to three short articles per day on a range of topics, from an unexpected Elon Musk move to the identity of an accused crypto hacker
- Work closely with, manage and mentor young News staff writers and fellows, helping them improve their pitches, reporting and writing
- Monitor wire services for important news that doesn’t rise to the level of an original article
- Punch up headlines with an eye toward the digital audience
- Ensure our coverage includes a diversity of ideas, perspectives, and voices
- Uphold Fortune’s standards of journalistic rigor, accuracy, and fairness
The right candidate…
- Reads a lot of news from a breadth of sources and has a pulse on the most important stories of the day
- Turns a jumble of ideas into clean, accurate, and insightful copy on deadline
- Can juggle multiple assignments at once
- Is interested in reaching new audiences by thinking about SEO and social headlines
- Is infinitely curious and always has a story idea
- Can come up with a fresh angle on the topic everyone is talking about
- Can communicate professionally and effectively in a remote environment
- Has experience using readership data to inform and inspire story choices
- Can work on a fast-paced team
Fortune’s headquarters is in NYC, but our editorial team is based across time zones and international borders. We’re working remotely right now because of the pandemic. We encourage applicants between the coasts to apply.
To apply, go here.