Fortune is seeking an ambitious and creative journalist for our wellness vertical to develop top-notch, science-backed service content that inspires readers to optimize their health and well-being.
Fortune Well covers a wide range of topics including chronic conditions, brain health, nutrition, exercise, mental health, workplace wellness, and healthy aging. The ideal candidate is passionate about all things wellness, but is experienced in reporting on health lifestyle topics, such as nutrition, sleep, fitness, and relationships.
Our ideal health and wellness reporter is an idea generator who is skilled at spotting trends, poking holes in pseudo-scientific news, interviewing experts and thought leaders, distilling complex topics, and crafting actionable, accessible service pieces.
In this role, you will:
· Report and write a mix of quick hits, explainers, trend pieces, and longform features focused on nutrition, sleep, fitness, and other lifestyle topics.
· Use data and analytics to pitch strategic new content.
· Generate fresh ideas and new angles on topics everyone is talking about before our competitors cover them.
· Craft high-quality service journalism that helps readers navigate every aspect of their health and well-being.
· Try new formats and seek new ways to reach audiences.
· Ensure our coverage includes a diversity of ideas, perspectives, and voices.
· Uphold Fortune’s standards of journalistic rigor, accuracy, and fairness.
The right candidate…
· Has at least three years’ experience covering health and wellness.
· Reads a lot of wellness news from a breadth of sources and has a pulse on emerging trends and the most important topics.
· Can interpret complex medical studies and jargon.
· Is an SEO pro.
· Knows how to create content that increases social reach.
· Writes clean, accurate, and insightful copy on deadline.
· Can juggle multiple assignments at once.
· Is infinitely curious and always has a story idea ready to go.
· Is flexible and adaptable.
· Can communicate professionally and effectively in a hybrid environment.
· Has experience using data and analytics to inform and inspire story choices.
We know there’s not a single perfect candidate for any job, so if you feel like you have the right skills to bring to this position but they differ from what we’ve listed above, we’d love to hear you tell us why. A finance reporting track record is required, but we’re open to a range of years of experience for this position.
Location: Preference for this reporter to be based in New York City, but we will consider candidates in other locations. If you’re based within commuting distance of one of our offices, there will be a minimum of 3 days/week in the office.
To apply, go here.