The Financial Times is looking for two graphics editors to join its award-winning Visual and Data Journalism team.
Reporting to the senior visual journalist of the FT’s award-winning Visual & Data Journalism team, you will liaise with the main news desk and section news editors to identify opportunities to use graphics in engaging and insightful ways. This will include helping to produce quick-turnaround graphics for breaking news stories, as well as identifying opportunities for more in depth coverage.
Comfortable working collaboratively in an interdisciplinary team environment, the successful applicant will be an experienced journalist with the ability to create first class graphics to accompany breaking news stories, explainers and deep dives with the visual storytelling team.
An enterprising and enthusiastic team player, you will have a keen eye for spotting opportunities where the visual and data journalism team can tell stories using data visualizations, maps, technical illustrations and other types of news graphically.
You will be experienced with graphics production in a newsroom or similarly high-pressure public-facing publishing environments.
A typical week
- Produce high quality visual journalism invariably on a tight deadline on a daily basis
- Stay on top of the news agenda and spot topics and stories that are ripe for visual journalism
- Manage and delegate the daily data and visual workload in London including providing advice/solutions for graphics/data queries
- Work closely with the Editorial Statistics team, who mainly respond to breaking news and analysis pieces.
- You will be required to work occasionally at weekends (time off in lieu will be provided)
You will be collaborating with journalists from across the newsroom on work that will mainly be quick turnaround (same day) and medium-term (a few days to a couple of weeks). But you will also have the opportunity to work on longer term projects across the Visual and Data Journalism team. Over time you will nurture close working relationships with reporters and develop domain knowledge across core FT subject matter.
What we are looking for
Your application will include a link to a portfolio that clearly demonstrates all of the following:
- Comfortable working on breaking news graphics with extremely tight deadlines
- Comfortable multitasking and able to work across various projects at the same time
- Confident in taking ownership of work, including strong judgement about sourcing data and collaborating closely with reporters and domain experts.
- Meticulous attention to detail
To apply, go here.