The Wall Street Journal is looking for a senior editor to serve as chief Americas editor for Dow Jones Newswires, the real-time financial news service of the Journal. The Newswires serves millions of financial professionals around the world. Reporters and editors in its three main newsrooms – in New York, Barcelona and Singapore – also underpin the Journal’s daily report by delivering the first, actionable version of the world’s big and small corporate, economic, market and financial news, 24 hours a day.
This position reports to Chip Cummins, global chief Newswires editor. The successful candidate will play a key role in guiding the Newswires’ world-wide strategy, while leading a region-wide reporting team in delivering fast, impactful news to our professional readers. We are looking for a news junky, eager to immerse oneself in the day’s news and capable of connecting dots between coverage areas, regions, industries and asset classes.
The Newswires Americas Chief will also play a key coordinating role between Newswires, our NewsPlus publishing desk, the Journal and other Dow Jones titles in delivering content to both professional and consumer readers. The position is a senior leadership role in the broader Journal/Newswires New York newsroom. It will require innovative thinking, problem-solving acumen and a proactive, collaborative approach to overcoming technical, logistical and structural roadblocks.
A thorough, tested understanding of business news readership trends in the digital era is a must. So, too, is experience – and eagerness to innovate – with the new wave of generative AI that is changing ours and other newsrooms. The successful candidate should have experience managing a large team of business journalists. A familiarity with international business is also an important consideration.
- Lead and inspire a large team of NY, Canada and Mexico-based reporters and editors, driving daily and longer-term financial news coverage from the area.
- Show impeccable news judgment. The role requires real-time decision making about news coverage priorities and direction and how those decisions impact the Journal’s ability to dominate breaking news. It will require quick thinking on how best to synthesize the day’s biggest news events and their effect on a wide array of industries and asset classes.
- Work closely with other regional newswires leadership teams in Sydney, New York, Barcelona and London to provide strong, globally consistent 24-hour financial news coverage for our Newswires subscribers and Wall Street Journal readers.
- Contribute by attitude, example and encouragement in order to build and sustain a culture of news – defined by speed, accuracy, consistency of quality, comprehensiveness, creativity and clarity of writing.
- Inspire your direct reports as well as the reporters and editorial team under them, to produce their best work on all platforms. The Newswires is often a place where early journalistic talent is honed, and a leadership style that fosters professional growth and development is a must.
- Identify high-potential members of the team and ensure they are effectively developed and enjoy every opportunity to thrive.
- Seize entrepreneurial ownership of your coverage region, by experimenting and driving innovation in editorial content and process, in coordination with other newswires leadership.
- Coordinate closely with WSJ newsroom leadership in New York to ensure that both platforms – and their respective readership – are benefiting from each other.
- Knowledge of markets, finance and professional news.
- Experience using newsroom readership metrics to advance our journalism.
- Extensive experience as a journalist and superb news judgment.
- A track record of exceptional achievement as an editor.
- Several years of experience as a manager of a large team.
- The ability to work across departments to build consensus and create shared vision.
- A proven track record of creativity, strategic thinking and ability to execute plans.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- A strong understanding of the unique content needs of business and financial professionals.
- A willingness to innovate, experiment and be creative with existing and emerging types of content.
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining how your skills, experience and interests would make you a top candidate for this position.
To apply, go here.