Crain’s New York Business is seeking an experienced, creative, highly motivated reporter to cover real estate in New York City. This candidate will join an experienced, collaborative team devoted to covering all aspects of the real estate industry for a highly engaged and sophisticated audience. Our goal is to break every important real estate story in New York City through a combination of deep sourcing, relentless reporting, and a continued focus on delivering what our audience wants.
This reporter will focus on all aspects of real estate, from apartment construction to public housing policy to high-profile home sales and the business practices of the area’s development companies, while building strong sources and using data to track and interpret market trends. This is not a “house of the week” role but one that focuses on major sales, trends, and personalities as well as following the money. The ideal candidate will have at least five years’ reporting experience, an eye for compelling stories and the ability to deliver frequent breaking news updates alongside in-depth enterprise reporting. Applicants should be familiar with, or be willing to learn, how to glean data from assorted industry reports and white papers, Costar, Acris and WARN notices. Also required: comfort with social media and a drive to stand out in a competitive news environment.
This is a full-time position in our Midtown office near Grand Central.
- Write breaking news and longer trend pieces
- Track established and emerging leaders in the real estate industry and write profiles
- Participate in Crain’s live and virtual events, and advise on events and projects as needed
- Work in our CMS and newsletter tools to build articles, find appropriate photos, and send out emails
- 3 + years of experience in journalism
- Bachelor’s degree
- Skill at generating story ideas, writing cleanly and coherently, developing sources, breaking news, and working quickly
- Experience writing analytical trend and enterprise pieces as well as breaking news stories
- Understanding of financial and business terminology
- Ability to work a hybrid schedule, coming in to our Midtown Manhattan office a few times per week
- Portfolio and examples of recent and relevant work that demonstrates business journalism experience
- Experience covering local New York City real estate and/or economic development news
- Familiarity with Crain’s New York Business’s coverage and style: what and whom we cover
- A robust list of real estate industry and business sources
- Experience and/or interest in developing public speaking skills, as our team occasionally participates in panels and events
This position is exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act and is not eligible for overtime pay.
Pay Transparency Disclosure:
The estimated salary range for this position is $55,000 to $75,000.
The final salary offering will take into account a wide range of factors, including experience, accomplishments and location. The salary range provided should not be considered as a salary limit or cap. In addition to base salary, Crain also offers competitive benefits including retirement plan savings contributions and bonus opportunities based on individual and company performance.
To apply, go here.