Bloomberg News is seeking a managing editor in Latin America to drive our economics and government coverage in a vast commodity-rich region with leaders spanning the political spectrum. This is a rare opportunity to lead a group of award-winning journalists from Mexico City to Buenos Aires in what promises to be an action-packed 2024 and where policies have deep implications for emerging market investors.
You will manage a large team of editors and reporters across many locations to deliver memorable stories that unpick complex issues for a global business audience. Critical to your success will be to drive scoops in a continent sitting on huge reserves of key metals powering green technologies and where the US and China are jostling for influence.
The successful candidate will have a knack for teasing out ambitious stories at the nexus of money and power and have a strong understanding of what drives policy-making in the region and how to put it into context for our readers.
You will have a demonstrated ability to get things done in a timely fashion and a commitment to all forms of story-telling, from video to podcasts and newsletters. The job requires someone with exquisite news judgment, who thrives under pressure and can see the global picture. Essential to the role is an ability to connect the dots, breathe economic analysis into political stories and vice versa.
The managing editor will be a strong collaborator and communicator given they must work closely with bureau chiefs and regional managers, and with our teams internationally.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Proven experience in business journalism
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, breaking news environment and makes sound news decisions quickly
- Ability to generate original story ideas and see them through
- Excellent editing skills and experience with features and story graphics
- Leadership experience
- Knowledge of regional economics and politics is an advantage
- Fluency in English and Spanish
- Fluency in Portuguese is a plus
To apply, go here.